Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Best ammo for pump shotgun?

Hey, I'm thinking about buying a pump action shotgun for home defense and recreational shooting. I hope I never have to use it for the first purpose, but in case I do, I'd like something that's efficient and cheaper than spending 2000 bucks on a fancier gun. Here's my one concern: I grew up around rifles with my dad and on my grandparents' farm, but I've never fired a shotgun--just rifles, which obviously didn't have the kick shotguns do. I'm a woman in my early twenties, but I'm in great shape, I lift weights, and I'm very physically strong so I'm not worried TOO much about the kick. That said, I know it's definitely something I need to consider. I've heard it may be best to get a 12 gauge shotgun because of their ammo versatility and stopping power, and I can use a lighter buckshot to reduce the kick. But how negatively will that affect the stopping power? I'm hoping I can try out different options before making a purchase, but I'd just like some general advice. Any help greatly appreciated! Oh and also, if I buy different chokes, can I shoot both buckshot and slugs? How difficult is it to change shotgun choke tubes, and how much do they usually cost? Are they included with some guns? Thanks again for any help!Best ammo for pump shotgun?
You can get a decent 12 gauge pump for under $200. I have mine loaded with #1 buckshot, rather than double 0.

You don't need a heavy load for inside the house, you are not going to be shooting at anyone over 10 to 20 feet.

Do not choke the barrel leave it as it is.

You never want to choke a barrel if you fire buckshot or slugs.

As mentioned above the sound of you chambering a shell should cause everyone to run for their life.

Even if you have a shell chambered it would not hurt to jack the slide to let them know you have a shotgun.Best ammo for pump shotgun?
Get a 12 gauge and don't anything use anything smaller than #4 buckshot. Forget the choke for home defense. The pattern stays plenty tight for anything within self defense range. Some people load the first few shells with a lighter load, progressing to 1-2 slugs at the end of the magazine. The idea is that if the first few shots of buckshot don't stop an assailant, the slugs will. However, a lot of people figure just the sound of the slide cycling will scare off a rationale criminal.
Mossberg 500 or Maverick 88 in 12ga (roughly the same gun, fit and finish is better on the Mossberg). Then get 00Buck (low brass, low recoil is fine for HD) and a Knoxx Spec Ops recoil reducing pistol grip stock and a buttpad. Your shoulder will thank you and it makes it quite manageable.



PRACTICE! You can practice with the bulk 8shot stuff ($22/100 at walmart), but shoot some 00buck so you understand the recoil as well (look on the internet you can find Wolf for cheap and I've heard no complaints about it).



I suggest these guns because they're the only ones that have been subjected to and passed the military's 3000 round torture test. Also, I have a 500. Go out and hold both, they come in 18.5'; or 20'; barrels. The 20'; hold more shells but also weighs a lot more. Hold them, borrow them (go down to a range and ask guys to shoot, no one is going to tell you no) and figure out which you like and go from there.
Given your criteria, get a combo shotgun set that includes an 18.5'; barrel for home defense and a 28'; barrel for rec shooting. Both Mossberg and Remington offer one. For ammo, 00 buckshot will take care of just about anything that comes through the door.



Basic rules of physics show that force equals mass x acceleration. The bigger the mass, the more force you get. The faster the projectile, the more acceleration (or decelleration) when the bullet hits the body and slows to zero, which means more force.



As for chokes, with the combo kits check if they have screw in chokes you can adjust. Some do, some don't. You can buy them just about anywhere and are very very easy to change.



Don't worry about the recoil, anyone can handle it as long as they keep a good firing stance... i.e. don't stand straight up when firing... Bend your knees a bit and lean into the gun. The dorks that fall on youtube stand up straight, have bad posture, and are generally ignorant about everything. I'd equate the recoil to a playful, but solid punch in the shoulder.
For your intended purposes the 20 gauge pump shotgun will fit the bill quite nicely and instead of buckshot I would use a heavy BB or BBB coyote shot. This sh
You can get a pump for less then $500. And as for kick its the same as any of the high power calibers like 30-06. It's just you feel it more. Why do people worry about recoil, its totally a mental thing.



If you want to get low recoil buckshot get it. I don't see the point though but power wise you not sacrificing much.
A couple of these guys are either confused or just confusing. If a shotgun barrel has a removable choke, do not ever shoot it without a choke tube installed. For slugs and for self defense in your house, cylinder or improved cylinder is the choke of choice. Most are fairly easy to change. There is a specific tool that allows you to switch the tubes. They need to be snug. The threads need lubricated so that they do not get stuck in the barrel. Some shotguns come with multiple tubes. You can purchase run of the mill tubes for $20 or $30 each. There are about 4 popular different styles depending upon the brand of shotgun. They are not interchangeable. Being female, you may want to look at youth sized shotguns which may fit you better than a regular sized shotgun since you are probably smaller than the average sized guy. One problem with that is that most companies only make youth shotguns 20 gauge. It is also possible to cut down the butt stock on a full sized shotgun or purchase youth sized stocks for them.
nerf darts

No comments:

Post a Comment