Monday, June 6, 2011

Ear tubes- My son has to get ears tubes, will this help with his speech? If so how long before I see a change?

in speech?Ear tubes- My son has to get ears tubes, will this help with his speech? If so how long before I see a change?
There are alot of reasons to get tubes. The basic idea is that if he has fluid back there - the tubles will clear out the fluid so that he can hear better. If he can hear and doesn't have any other issues - then he will begin talking better and you will see improvement right away. If there are other developmental issues and delays - it won't affect him at all. My son got the tubes because they couldn't get a good hearing test on him - and the tubes really did nothing to help his speech at all but it did rule out hearing issues as a cause of his speech delays.Ear tubes- My son has to get ears tubes, will this help with his speech? If so how long before I see a change?
Each ear infection he has had has already affected his speech because it affects his hearing. With tubes they say you might notice a small change in speech but as long as they work as they should you shouldn't notice a huge change. I would suggest that after about 6 months if you see a major speech problem for his age group then i would look into a speech evaluation to make sure his speech doesn't get to far behind. I know my nephew has had atleast 20 ear infections and even with the tubes he got them so they took them out and he is almost 2 years old and barely can say words right, we just have to guess what he is saying but his mom says he will outgrow it
My son had tubes at 11 months. It was the best thing in the world. I am not sure how old your son is, but I am sure the tubes will at the very least help him feel better. If there is a speech issue I would imagine you would see improvement right away.



Good Luck and Many Blessings
It will help him with preventing ear infections that could further damage his ears. As far as speech delays... it will depend on how damaged his ears are and if his delays are totally because of the ear infections. My daughter had ear infections... one after another starting at 4 months old. Once her tubes were put in at 3 years old... her speech impoved. But it could have been her age too.
It is very possible it will help his speach...if that is the cause for his speach problems If his speach problems are still there in a few months then lookinto speach therapy
it will

No comments:

Post a Comment