Monday, June 6, 2011

What is the best way to change a bicycle flat?

I use a bicycle to get work and I really hate flats! I have the thick armadillo tires and thick tubes and I keep the air pressue at the proper level, but sometimes I get flats. I always hear about how easy it is to break down the tire and fix the flat and have the tire back on in 10 minutes or less, but that never happens to me! Plus, the glue doesnt seem to want to work as advertised. What a pain! So how do you change a flat and how long does it take you?What is the best way to change a bicycle flat?
Replacement tubes are cheap, don't bother with those silly patch kits; they rarely work. With a fully deflated tire, you should easily be able to remove the tire from the rim without any tools (except the wrench to remove the rim from the bike). Starting from the part of the tire furthest from the valve stem, pull the tire to the side of the rim. The fit will be snug but you should be able to pull it off without too much trouble. When I replace a tire with a new inner tube I always put a little air in the tube before installation; it helps to get the tube to stay inside the tire without any twists. Place the tube inside the tire and starting from the valve stem, work the tire onto the rim all the way around the rim. Check to make sure the tire is seated properly and inflate to the recommended PSI. Done!What is the best way to change a bicycle flat?
First the flat has to want to change.
fixing a puncture is something that can only be done properly at home because you need a bucket of water to find where the puncture is on the tube
Actually, I haven't had a flat recently. You should try to determine why you're getting the flats (nails, glass, bad rim, etc). If you're tired of flats, you can get those thick tubes that don't need inflation and don't get flat. I don't know how they ride, but they don't go flat.



I'd expect that if I had a flat, It'd take me a while to change it (probably 10-20 minutes). Although, it would actually take me longer because I'd have to go get supplies to fix it. I should probably carry an extra tube and changing supplies just to be safe.
get two of those neat little plastic bicycle tire irons at the bike store that hook onto your spokes. after removing the wheel from the bike, slide those tire irons in an hook them, but only undo one side. peel the bad tube out. get your new tube, put a tiny bit of air into it to give it its shape, and then CAREFULlY stuff it into the open side (valve insterted first) being careful not to pinch it anywhere. then start at the valve again, and kneed the tire back on like a loaf of raw dough. make sure the bead is fairly even all the way around. when i was good it would take about six minutes. if i did it today it would probably take me about ten. have a great, safe ride!
best thing is to carry an extra tube in a pouch on your bike or something, and replace it when you need it, and the one that was damaged, take it home and fix it and carry that one with you all the time until the next time.
Sir, when a person Is on his or her way to work They most likely dint want to be late. About 15 years ago I started using Fix a flat, And this has always worked Great for me. It is easy to carry with you on your bike.

Sincerely Gary
Go to Wal-mart and get yourself some tire slime and don't worry about flats anymore. Changing flats on almost any vehicle sucks and is a real pain in the a$$. I don't know if I am just lazy but I slime every tire I have except the tires on my cars because it will throw them out of balance but the stuff works so good it is worth it in everything else. Hope I have been helpful
take it to the bike shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment