Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Besides doing a water change every week. How do I lower the level of Nitrate in my saltwater fish tank???

I recently had a water test done and my nitrate level is sky rocket, which is prob the reason why my coco worm wont come out of its tube. what can I do to lower the level a.s.a.p????Besides doing a water change every week. How do I lower the level of Nitrate in my saltwater fish tank???
For the short term, your only choice is a water change. In the future, a protein skimmer, which will remove organics that will eventually become nitrate as well as a deep sand bed with macroalgae in a refugium. The algae will use the nitrate for growth, and the deep sand bed, if allowed to settle undistrurbed, will develop anaerobic areas that denitrify nitrate into harmless nitrogen gas.Besides doing a water change every week. How do I lower the level of Nitrate in my saltwater fish tank???
Do an immediate 50% water change, making sure to thoroughly clean the gravel of any waste. Then you will want to do 25% wc's every night for a week, testing the levels everyday before you do the wc. You can also add salt which will help to decrease the toxic effects of the nitrates. There are also products out there like Prime water conditioner that will help to detoxify it.
Really all you can do is a water change. I would go with about 30 %, and ease up on the food. If you have a sump with bio balls, you can remove half the bio balls and use the water from the change to rinse them. Do not rinse more than half. Do not touch your substrate. If you use a canister, it may be time to change your media.
I have to agree with Nosoop4u, water changes is only for a short term. As for the first answer, DO NOT Change 25% of the water everyday, you should do that only once per month. On a weekly basis, you should do a 10-15% water change, but do not conduct water changes every day.



You can also add a product called stress zyme. This product contains necessary bacteria in which they help reduce the nitrate problems. Live rock and Live sand can also help, because the bacteria on them also reduces the nitrates.



But I have to agree with Nosoop4u, I give him and the other guy thumbs up because obviously, they know what they're doing through experience, and I just had to share some of mines as well.



Thanks for asking.....................
Water changes for now. Look into setting up a Jeaubert system. Did mine 13yr ago no nitrate problems after I changed over.
  • down payment on a house
  • vc
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment