Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Can I change a screw rear bicycle wheel to a quick release rear wheel?

I want to use a old bike i have on my newley bought turbo trainer. It works fine, I have new tyre, tube and stuff. But the rear wheel is a screw wheel. Thus I was wondering how do I change this to a qucik relase in order for it to fir on the trainer. But do I need to do this at all?



Thanks for Your HelpCan I change a screw rear bicycle wheel to a quick release rear wheel?
I've never tried it but I certainly would give it a go, it will probably work fine. Maybe add a couple nuts to the axle for a bigger surface for the clamps to grip on.



If you do want to ever change it to QR you need to by a hollow axle and rebuild the hub with it... and of course purchase QR skewers.Can I change a screw rear bicycle wheel to a quick release rear wheel?
Ummm, although the advice to swap your rear axle for a hollow version and adding a QR is accurate, it may not work on your bike.



Most bikes that have a bolt on rear wheel have very thin dropouts on the frame. If they are too thin, even the hollow axle will be too wide which means you won't be able to secure the wheel onto the bike.



Since most trainers have little ';cups'; on each side to hold the bike in place you shouldn't need a QR at all... did you read the instructions?
You need to change your existing solid axle for a hollow axle with a quick release skewer, on some wheels you can. Take you existing axle and bearings out of the wheel and go to your local bike shop, they need to be able to match it with a new one with the same size bearings.
yup, to easy, all you need to do is purchase a quick release wheel set, pick one up for like $70 AUD, for a real cheap rear wheel.
Have you tried it first? Looking at my trainers, it seems that a solid axle with regular nuts would fit just fine.
  • save for retirement
  • structuretoptr
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment