Monday, November 22, 2010

CPAP Machine?

I've got sleep apnea, which means I stop breathing several times each night and wake up gasping for air. I'm used to it. But the problem is that I am not sleeping well because it is getting interrupted so much. My dad has had a CPAP for 5 years and both of his parents have one. I will probably end up getting one as well. I plan to have a sleep study done over the summer, at which time they will analyze my body throughout the night while I am asleep. I know that if I have one I will be using it the rest of my life. My main question is how often would I have to change the tubing and the facemask? Would I have to change them at all?CPAP Machine?
You should get an on-going prescription for replacement parts. The tube is replaced once per month. The silicone gasket that goes between the mask and the skin and the ';white'; filter is recommended to replace every 2 weeks. This is to prevent bacteria build up. The mask is replaced every 3 months.



A personal story. I was reluctant to get a CPAP until my doctor ask how I would feel if I fell asleep while driving and hurt or killed someone. I got the machine and have been getting a good night of sleep and don't feel tired in the day anymore.CPAP Machine?
My husband uses a CPAP. We clean the tubing, but you don't have to change it unless it has damage to it. Normal use should not damage it. He uses the nasal attachment, so he does not have a mask over his face. The nasal attachment places the CPAP tubing up against the nares of the nose, without covering the nose or face and he swears it is extremely comfortable compared to the face mask types.

No comments:

Post a Comment