Saturday, November 20, 2010

When I changing insulin pump tubing, blood sugar goes really high (300s). It was at 129. How to prevent this?

Seems like each time I change the insulin pump tubing, it goes into the 300 range. I tested before changing it and my blood sugar was 129. Type I diabetic. How can I prevent this?When I changing insulin pump tubing, blood sugar goes really high (300s). It was at 129. How to prevent this?
Just make sure the insulin is primed all the way through to the tip of the catheter top (Tip that goes into your subcutaneous skin) I do this by looking at the tip as it primes and a few drips come out. The only thing I can assume is that some air is getting into the line and you aren't getting insulin for a time. Then you have to play catch up. So try manually priming with the plunger. Push it up. Then hit your prime button until you see a few drops. Works for me. Good luck. The pump ROCKS, doesn't it. I love mine.When I changing insulin pump tubing, blood sugar goes really high (300s). It was at 129. How to prevent this?
Make sure you are priming correctly and check with your doctor and the pump tech support on how much to fill the cannula after you have primed. The manufacturers of infusions sets give suggestions on how much to fill the cannula but some pumpers have to put more insulin in than suggested. For example, my infusion set needs a cannula fill of .5 units but a friend of mine has the same set and has to put 1 unit into the cannula when he changes his set or else he goes high. Ask the doc and pump support what you should try....



Another trick is to leave your old infusion set in for a few hours after you change to a new set. Have the pump hooked to the new set this whole time. There is insulin in the cannula of the old set that your body can absorb if you leave it in. If I take my old set out right away then I see a blood sugar increase of 50 points.
This usually happens to me, too. My endo thinks it might be a temporary stress hormone response to being jabbed again and the old hole starting to heal up. Regardless, I give myself an additional 1.0 unit of insulin along with my prime amount, which usually solves it for me. Do a little experimenting the next few times, maybe start with an extra 0.3 units and see if that helps, then go up from there if you have to. Always check your BG 2 hours after replacing your infusion set.
You really should discuss this with your doctor. It is something they should have a record of anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment