Saturday, November 20, 2010

Inner Tube size difference?

I was running low on innertubes and dropped by my bike shop to pick some up. The guy asked what size and I said 700*25c. He rang them up and I went home, put them in my pack and rode then next day. Me and my buddy both had flat tires so we changed them using the new tubes I'd gotten. As I was changing I realized I had 700x23c tubes. We were 50 miles from nowhere so I used them. We rode back in to town and neither one of us had any problems for the remaining 65 miles. I will take the rest of the tubes back, of course, but is it pertenant I change out the ones I allready used? How much difference does this make?



One more question, I was on a while back asking where you all buy your tubes, as they are pretty pricey when you get to using a lot (a friend of mine rides with me using my older bike so I am responsible for it's maintenance as well). I've changed three tubes in the last two weeks! What is the secret to not having them often without sacrificing performance.Inner Tube size difference?
Yes, the tube size is fine. That's a lot of flats. Without info I'm not sure what's up, maybe bad luck!Inner Tube size difference?
The tube should be fine. Most tubes are sold for a range of sizes. 25 and 23 are close enough that you won't have problems.



When I buy tubes, I usually find a sale at the local bike shop (LBS) or an on-line source. I usually buy 10 at a time and they are usually only about $3 each in quantity.



Many people toss out their tubes then they leak, but for just a few bucks, you can buy a patch kit that will keep the tubes going for many, many more miles.
Three tubes in the last two weeks on a road bike, tells me something about your riding style! Change it quick!



Ride about 3 feet (1 metre) away from the kerb avoid sunken drains, road debris, etc.



And make sure they're inflated correctly, around 100psi - It will avoid pinch punctures - (I have heard people bragging that they use tyres at 120psi, when in reality I can tell they are only around the 70psi mark)



As regards the innertube size, I wouldn't worry about it, it's ok!



Best of luck in future rides.









EDIT: Room 101 - I'm not surprised you make so much money from innertubes if customers leave your shop with such grossly under-inflated tyres!! - Cytech II trained or not, you should know better than this.



A modern 25 x 700c tyre will probably fall off the rims at the the first corner, if inflated to 55psi

.
The size is close enough. Particularly if it just said 700x23. A typical road tube is sized 700x19-25 or 700x20-25, so there's a fair amount of acceptable stretch. If you're looking to save money, start patching your tubes instead of just replacing them. Some of my tubes have a half dozen glueless patches on them. There isn't a noticeable performance loss.
Take it from me, lady, 2mm of a difference in a rubber tube makes no difference at all!



A 700x25c tyre will take anything from a 700x20 up to a 700x 32 because it is rubber. It stretches and compresses easily. In fact, you are probably better off fitting slightly oversize tubes as the rubber used in heavier tubes tends to be thicker, thus making flats less frequent.



Many have been the times when people have come into my shop asking for 26x1.95 inners and if I only have 26x2.1 or 26x 1.75 thats what they get, because it doesn't make a blind bit of difference because they can only inflate as far as the tyre walls will allow!!!



Hope I have cleared that one up for everyone.



On the subject of flats and consumption of tubes...



Cycle shops make a very healthy profit on these items as they are bread and butter items that keep shops going when times are lean (I am not at liberty to divulge how much because they will hunt me down and torture me slowly with a hot poker!!!)

Just keep your tyres inflated to near the max ; 75psi rear (in the case of 700's) and 55 front and you should have fewer problems in future.



Happy cycling.
  • Fish
  • cross lips
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment