Saturday, November 20, 2010

How much should I charge for babysitting? PLEASE help with my HUGE dilemma!! I think I'm underpaid?

I檝e been babysitting for 5 years on and off. Back in August someone who I did NOT know asked me to watch her kids after school. To make a long story short, I started working for her and I feel like I am being underpaid.



I watch them 4 times a week from 3:30 to 8:00. The oldest child is mentally and physically disabled [SBS]. This means feeding her through a feeding tube, changing her, etc. The other 2 kids are 5 and 4. For them I have to get them off the bus, help the 5 year old with homework [takes at least an hour] get them snacks/dinner, entertain them for 3 hours [they have nothing to keep them occupied-no cable, toys] and bathe and get them ready for bed.



Now for how much I get paid?100/week.



I haven't watched them since early December because the mother hasn't been working, but today she wrote me and asked for my help again. I want to say I'll come back but only for more money. Do you think I檓 underpaid? If so, how should I tell her? And how much should I be paid?How much should I charge for babysitting? PLEASE help with my HUGE dilemma!! I think I'm underpaid?
Yes you are underpaid and expected to do a lot for the money. I would tell the mother, yes you would like to come back but you will need a pay increase due to your financial responsibilities/obligations. Tell her you believe $150 is a fair amount, $50 per week, per child. Be prepared for her to try and negotiate or even decline entirely. But like someone else mentioned, you could be making several dollars more per hour elsewhere that requires a lot less work for you.How much should I charge for babysitting? PLEASE help with my HUGE dilemma!! I think I'm underpaid?
i think u been paid fair money
I think you are right, with the fact that you are doing medical care and not just babysitting. I think you should ask for at least $150 a week if not more...good luck!
160 be fair good luck
$4.44/hr is terrible!!



you could sack groceries for almost twice that
I understand your concern on if you are being underpaid, but you also need to think of the family. Can she afford to pay you more? either way you should let her know your concerns about how much you are doing. I would want to ask for more money too but I would also be concerned with her situation.
I watch a 2 and a half year old from 7 in the morning until 6 at night 4 days a week and then I watch his brother from 3 until 6 in the evening. I get paid $250 for both of them a week. I feed them their snacks and meals. I would say that if you have 3 kids then she is under paying you. Especially if one of them is handicapped. That is alot of work. I would suggest that she pay you $150 to $200 week. I would say that is only fair because of all you have to do. Good luck and hope you get the pay you want.
tell her you'd like more money. 3 kids and one of them is disabled... she sure is getting a bargain having you watch her kids.
it seems you're doing the job of a home attendant and a nurse and baby sitter. yes, i do think you're a lil underpaid.ask for a raise and see how much more shes willing to give you. be tactful about it and kind. tell her you'll need more money b/c you have expenses also. if you like the children and enjoy caring for them, be reasonable about what you charge her. hope this helps, good luck
I think you are getting paid enough money. $5 an hour roughly is really good. Although some people pay more $5 an houris about the average i get paid
That's probably pretty good. You're not going to make a lot of money baby sitting. As her for a raise, it can't hurt. I just wouldn't make an ultimatum.
i have worked out your hours and pay rate, are you aware that you are on $5.50 an hour. looking at the work you do i would be letting this lady know what she gives you an hour and be asking for at least $150-$180 a week

No comments:

Post a Comment